Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nobody Likes me everyone hates me, I'm going out to sell worms!

I've been vermicomposting for 15 years (there was a break from '97-2007).  Back at it and I've had such a population growth that I've been selling some now.  I sold 10000 worms and counted out each little bugger.  Growing worms is a natural part of self sufficiency and sustainability. There is quite a lot to know about the little squirmy wormies.  

* Red wigglers may live as long as ten years
* red wigglers can consume their weight in food every day
* worm populations can double every month
* A  mature breeder will produce an egg capsule every seven to ten days
* Each egg capsule contains a dozen worms

I raise mine inside near the kitchen.  I use a plain plastic tote currently but will be switching to a tray system soon so that I can raise more in the same footprint.  There's lots of information about   worms online so I won't rehash that all here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment