For the past two decades, I have been interested in raising tilapia. Now those musings are taking shape. We purchased two breeding colonies of Blue Tilapia and some tanks to get started.
Why aquaponics? First off, I love fish. I don't love fishing and it doesn't feel right to support fish farming, especially fish farming in China. So, when our new friends at MiddleGround Farm posted that they had tilapia for sale-we were thrilled. The more I read about fish farming, the more I gravitated toward aquaponics, which is the combination of fish growing and vegetable growing and red wiggler growing. All three in one lovely system to move us closer to growing much of our own food. We will still have an outside garden but this will allow up to extend our growing season and to grow more protein. We will also continue to raise chickens this year for meat and eggs.
As our venture grows, I hope to write about our triumphs and tribulations. We have some headstarts because Claude has lots of plumbing expertise and great instincts. He also has a lot of unused equipment from a biodiesel venture that we can repurpose to the tilapia venture. I bring knowledge of aquarium and water quality as well as good animal husbandry skills.
Our tanks arrive today and I'll post pictures soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment