Sunday, December 18, 2011
Red Wigglers Growing Like Crazy
Since red wigglers (Eisenia foetida) are essential to aquaponics, I have been working hard to increase our populations. We have one large bin and a stacking set with vigorous populations in both environments. My nephew and his mom work together at his restaurant here in Loveland, Colorado and recently agreed to provide me with lettuce and other kitchen scraps which will ensure that I am able to feed the worms more volume and more frequently. This will increase reproduction. The above picture shows a good cross section of an actively composting area of worm composting. There is shredded newspaper and shredded brown paper with kitchen scraps and worm compost.
Eventually, I will feed the worms to the fish although initially the worms will primarily live within the hydroton under the plants to break down waste from the tilapia and plants, as well as to possibly buffer any pH disturbances.
I've been selling the red wigglers to people via CraigsList and harvesting several liters of compost every couple of months but will have to stop selling the worms since I will need them for the grow beds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment